Thursday, September 15, 2011

Eye of the beholder

Lately I seem to be getting quilts that the owners refer to as the "ugly quilt". Maybe things didn't come out exactly the way they saw it in their mind, but I often think quilters are just too hard on themselves.

This week's case in point- Bert sent me a quilt and she called it The Ugly Quilt. It has some wonderful batiks and rich prints set off in a black sashing.

All it needed was a bit of curvy quilting
and some blue-green variegated thread
and you have a Spice Market quilt.

Isn't that a better name?

OK, now for this week's clue. It is not hard, but there are some things to watch for, so you might want to be sure you are fully caffeinated before you start.

First unit- a light version of the dark triangle from step 7...
However you want to do it, you need 16 quarter-square triangles like you cut in step 7, only light this time. You can cut a 6-1/2" square on the diagonal twice or use the companion angle ruler, whichever you prefer.
Set aside 4 triangles for later. Find twelve of the 3-1/2" light squares left from step 4 and add wing QST triangles to two sides of 4 of them.

Sew the remaining eight squares together in pairs and add a QST to get this piece. (sorry about the mess)

Put them together
To get four big triangles like this

Piece of cake so far right? This is the tricky part, so if you need more tea, coffee or soda, go ahead...I'll wait 'till you get back.

This is the "split triangle unit" It starts just like before with a dark 3-1/2" square and 2 dark  QST's

Then you make 2 sets of mirrored units using a light QST, a light 3-1/2" square and a 3-1/2" HST from way back in step 2.

Notice the slant and the HST placement.

when you put them together you get 2 sets that look like this

One final (and easy) bit left.
Cut two dark squares, 3-1/2" (If you're like me you may have cut a few extra somewhere along the way) and cut them once on the diagonal. Sew one triangle to one side of a 3-1/2" dark square from step 4

There should be 8 dark QSTs left from step 7 and you can  add them to each side to make 4 corner units.

So, in case you haven't guessed those are setting triangles and the quilt is on point. But what will we do with the parts that are still left over???
Next week will tell the tale!  




Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
www.TheCraftyUnicorn.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to like that Spice Market Quilt. Of course, it is blue!! Nice quilting by the way.
Anxious to start the Mystery Quilt, but by the time I get to it, it probably won't be a mystery any longer.
Faye

Brenda said...

As of yesterday, I got caught up to this point - so today, I will work on this step and when it's done - then, and only then!! will I look at where I shoud be, today's step!!!

I am lovin' this!!! Thank-You!!

Brenda said...

Oh, I forgot to add, I like the 'spice market quilt' too!!! It's not ugly in my eyes, it is acutally a nice quilt!!!