Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Big Reveal!

OK, This is the moment you have been waiting for. Today it all comes together. Some of you have some ideas, but I hope some will be surprised. Get all your blocks and those pesky triangles and lets see what we can do with them...

Ta-Da...


If it looks complicated, relax. It's just an on-point top. The stripe comes from doubling and turning the split-9-patch blocks.

My design wall isn't big enough to show these steps, so these are Electric Quilt representations. I hope they make sense. The white background in the blocks doesn't count.

Start with one dark triangle, a light triangle, a split 9-patch square (S9P) and one corner.- That's row 1

Row 2 has a dark triangle, S9P, basket, S9P and a split triangle

 Row 3... Dark triangle, S9P, basket, S9P, S9P, basket, mirror of split triangle


Are you seeing the pattern?
Row 4... Dark triangle, S9P, basket, S9P, S9P, basket, S9P, S9P, light triangle




With this row we are halfway done...
Row 6...Dark triangle, S9P, basket, S9P, S9P, basket, S9P, S9P, basket, S9P, corner



Sew the rows together and you will have half a quilt.



The bottom half is just reversing the rows. Keep all the baskets pointing the same way, you don't want to spill anything.

Then one seam to join the halves and TA-DA...a quilt top center.

I say center because, quite honestly, I haven't decided on borders yet. I tried some things in EQ, but I think waiting to see what the top wants is a better idea. So how about we take a couple of weeks to let everyone catch-up. (My next two weeks are insane) and come back with some border ideas?

Just to gloat a bit, one of the things making October insane is going to Quilt Camp with a friend for four days of workshop with BONNIE K. HUNTER of Quiltville.com. If I can't get inspired about a border on a scrap quilt in the presence of the Scrap Goddess, I must be dead.

So, see everyone back here in a couple of weeks. And thanks for playing along.



Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
www.TheCraftyUnicorn.com

4 comments:

Amy said...

Leslie,
This looks amazing! I can't wait to put mine together. Thanks for designing this mystery to share!

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

Wow! I can't wait to lay mine out and see it! Thanks for all the fun!!
Have a great time with Bonnie H!

Brenda said...

I love this!!! Now to go and put mine together - and I can not believe you are going to go and play with Bonnie!!! Way to exciting!!!

You will be having a great time with Bonnie on your 'vacation' while I put this project to bed!!! I had alot of fun with this, and the basket blk surprised me!! I normally am not a basket fan, but I like this one!! I am excited to see all my browns put together, what will it look like??? Time to find out ....!!!

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

I have half of it together! :-) I've awarded you the versatile blogger award, please stop by and check it out. :-)