Thursday, August 25, 2011

What a week!

I tell you, it's getting crazy out there. Earthquakes in Virginia and a possible hurricane in Maine. I think I'm just gonna batten down the hatches and sew!

But first a reminder of spring. We remember Spring right? This is Barbara's quilt, I think the pattern name is Lovebird Lane.
She does great machine applique and the kit comes with some really cute pre-printed details like windows, street signs and little quilts within a quilt..


And now since we are all going to stay snug inside and sew here is clue number 7...

It's harder to write out the steps than it is to do this part, so if the words don't make sense the pictures should. You will be cutting triangles with the bias edge along the long side, so a bit of spray starch can help control the bias edges.

Method 1 (just a regular ruler):
Cut 13 6" squares of assorted darks, then cut twice on the diagonal to get 4 QSTs. You need 50 QSTs


Method 2 (companion angle ruler):
Cut 3" strips of your darks. You need about 200" of strips. That's about 5 width of fabric strips.  Then use the ruler to cut the triangles...
Flip the ruler and cut the next one...


OK, so you have all these triangles, now go get the 3 1/2" squares you set aside in step 5. Using 10 of those squares, attach a triangle to two sides of a square to make a bigger triangle. Press toward the triangles.

Use another 20 squares to make this other unit... Sew two squares together and add another QST. Press  away from the center.


Finally put the two together to make a big triangle...
The QST triangles are a bit big, but that leaves plenty of room past the 1/4" to keep your points sharp. You need 10 of these triangles.

See, not hard to do, just hard to describe.  And I know what you are thinking, but you just have to wait and see! More next week.



Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness Leslie, I can't wait to see how this is all going to turn out!

Brenda said...

I really am going to make/get myself a BIG ironing board!! Then nothing will be haning over the side when it's pressed!!

This is going to be another fun step, but unlike the other, it won't fit into the box I have for this mystery!!! Time to get a bigger box I guess!! ;-)

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

LOL Brenda! Mine is not going to fit in the box either! I'm off to get to work! Thanks for the fun Leslie~ be safe this weekend!