Friday, August 19, 2011

Pets on Quilts

This is my entry for the Pets on Quilts Show and the story of a quilt that was meant to be. Once upon a time the lovely and wonderful SewCal Gal teamed up with her friend EQ the Mouse (mascot of The Electric Quilt Company) and had a contest. The challenge was to design a quilt using Electric Quilt that EQ the Mouse would like. Well, not one to pass-up a chance to play with explore the things EQ can do, I designed this quilt.
Lo, and behold, I WON. And what was the prize? A lovely stack of 5" squares from SewCal Gal's private stash. Even better, when I told her what I would be doing with my winnings, she generously sent charm squares in various cat & dog prints.

You see, every year I make a quilt for the local animal shelter, The Ark, for their list of raffle items. This year, I made a disappearing 9-patch with the pet prints I had won.

And now it's time for the quilt to be entered in the Pets on Quilts Show. Seems like a full circle. I didn't get a picture of Leggs & Emmie giving the Ark Quilt it's official "cat scan" but they do test most quilts at some point... sometimes while still on the longarm.
Or when the binding is being made...
They help organize strips and scraps
 And supervise the cutting table
So there you have my entry for Pets on Quilts. Hope you enjoy the show and remember to check out all the entries and vote for your favorites this Saturday and Sunday . 




Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

25 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your EQ quilt. And the name 'Leggs' for a cat I think is hysterical. They do tend to cuddle on the smalest to largest bits of fabric, don't they?

Nanbon44 said...

cute little helper you have...

Staci said...

What great photos! Thanks for the smiles.

Kelli said...

Lovin' the cats on the quilts! :)

QuiltSue said...

That's a great quilt with a great story behind it, thank you.

Thearica said...

I need to play with my EQ more! Love your entry!

Dana Gaffney said...

Wonderful post. I love that you used your winnings to make a quilt to help other animals. I'm making a quilt right now for a local cat shelter's auction. I wasn't sure if it would help, but it's what I do. Thanks for sharing, you're babies are beautiful.

Joanna said...

Not only is Leggs on every quilt, but looks so comfortable, too. Nice post.

Talin's Corner said...

Love the EQ quilt you designed. And your cats seem right at home on your quilts.

Gladys said...

Your assistant is very cute!

Tonya said...

I am so happy to hear that you make quilts for the shelter!

Lesly said...

Ha ha - that photo on the LA looks like your cat is lounging in a hammock - life is certainly tough, isn't it!

Pat V. said...

Your cat really seems to have taken ownership of those strips! Thanks for sharing these fun photos, and thanks for helping pets at the shelter!

Connie said...

Cute EQ quilt and Leggs is a cutie!

andsewon said...

Great story and 2 lovely quilts! Have to say my fav pic is the helper sorting strips!! hahaha!

Becky said...

Great story and lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

awww sweet pictures. Thanks for sharing.

paulette said...

Love the EQ quilt and sweet kitty pics!
Paulette

Melissa said...

That kitty hammock looks so comfy, but I bet it makes quilting rather difficult!

Snoodles said...

Great pictures....love your quilts for the EQ mouse and the raffle, too!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Leggs found a pretty good kitty hamock with your long arm projects, looks very comfy.

Janet said...

Great photos of your kitty helper(s). I couldn't tell if this was one cat or two that look alike :)

Sand and Sunshine said...

I often wondered what it would look like if one of my cats got on the frame. I only have a midarm but I've been a paranoid bat about it, even tucking up the batting because DH is certain Sunny will scratch it into ribbons. Oh the joys of quilting.

LynCC said...

I sure wish I could find a good way to keep the cats from turning a quilt on the frame into a personal hammock!

LethargicLass said...

I love your cheesy quilt :)