Sunday, January 09, 2011

Design Wall and knitting

My design wall has actually been getting used this week since I finished Carol's quilt.
These are the fabrics I chose for a block swap over on the APQS forum. The blocks are friendship stars using brights and a black-on-white and a white-on-black print
 See... Design wall use!
OK, that was kind of cheating, but it is a WIP on my design wall, and besides, that was last week. This is this week...

See... blocks! Just don't look tooooo close. The HSTs are made with a technique that is new to me. Cutting two large squares, drawing lines and making 8 at once. So far, I'm not thrilled. Since there's no trimming room, that seam allowance has to be perfect, but even sewing RIGHT on the line a few still came up short. I finally went back to my really thin piecing thread (Masterpiece from Superior Threads) and drew lines at 3/16" instead of 1/4" and stitched just inside the line and they were better. Maybe cutting the squares 8" instead of 7-3/4 is the answer. Those two blocks on the bottom, those are the ones that won't be in the swap. Hopefully I can get the rest made this week.

This is a question for all you knitters out there... Does yarn make it's wishes kown like fabric does? You know when you are working on a quilt and you think something is a good idea, but the quilt thinks differently...and no matter what you try stuff just keeps going wrong until you change the border/quilting design/whatever that the quilt doesn't like and then things go smoothly. (OK, to most of you this sounds nuts, but some of you know what I'm trying to say). Well, does yarn do that too? I have been trying to make a pair of socks with this yarn since last March. I love the yarn, but just don't like the way the sock toes come out.


I have started these sock FOUR times and I still don't like them, so tonight I pulled it all out and will try something new- Some cabled fingerless mitts with cables-

 Wish me luck... Yes, I probably am nuts! But hopefully I will have warm hands.




"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

3 comments:

Faye said...

The "books" call for squares at "x"+ 7/8, not three quarters, that may have been your problem. I always move up to the full inch, and usually still have very little to trim, more of a "squaring"; the 7/8 just isn't quite enough with my usual 1/4 inch seam. Also, I like the hand covers way better than the socks.

Chris said...

I usually try to make the blocks just a hair bigger by sewing a thread or two inside the lines. It helps.

Alycia said...

The big square sound like an interesting technique. Love the color combos!!