Friday, December 03, 2010

Time, space, quilts...

The mid-week whirl wind is over and I did get some work done today, but posts about that will wait. This gets a bit philosophical but bear with me...it's worth it.

It is amazing how quilting continues to span time and generations and friendships. The quilt I finished on Thursday was pieced by Faye for a friend of hers, Beverly. The fabrics have been in Beverly's family for years (we think the 1940's).

The pieces for the bow-ties and the butterflies were all cut out but left un-finished. These are Bow-ties the hard way- with the center square and 5-sided inset seam. No flippy-corners for this quilt! Faye and Beverly worked out the design and this is the second quilt that has come from that stash and the colaboration. This one will go to Beverly's sister.

Even the back was pieced with family fabrics


So that was Thusday night at quilt class. Wednesday night at my business class, another class member said she had some quilt blocks and could I take a look at them and tell me what I thought. She brought out a stack of 10 or 12 blocks wrapped in a cotton dishtowel. My heart just about stopped. This is what she has...

The first thing you see is the tones of the fabrics. Reproductions are good, but you just "know" when it is the real thing. They are in amazing condition.
There are bits of batting and stitch holes in the edges, so they have been in a quilt but someone (bless them) took the time to un-sew them. Not only is the piecing amazing, but the center of each block has a verse written in the center...

Now take a deep breath...

They are addressed to Martha...


most are signed with first and last names...


and towns and states...


AND DATED 1844...
Apparently this was a quilt for someone leaving on a long journey. Maybe out west? Who knows, but a lot of people really wanted to wish her well. The verses are charming. I hope to get in touch with the quilt study group here in Maine and a couple of other places, but the researcher in me would love to work out this puzzle and find out who Martha was. As I find out I will keep you posted. Any ideas on who to contact are more than welcome.

So there you have my philosopical bit... Friends, generations, time, distance all tied together with quilts. Pretty cool.

 



"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

No comments: