Wednesday, June 23, 2010

All a-buzz last week

Yep, the last week or so has been full of unexpected adventure.

A week ago Friday (the 11th) I got a call from Ellen at The Ruggles House warning me about a swarm of bees in the parking lot. She said they had been there since Wednesday and the Orkin man would be there on Monday. I told her I would bring my equipment and try to get the swarm on Sunday when I came to clean.

I have had bees before and would hate to see a colony lost simply because they were in an "inconvenient" place. Well, Sunday morning I'm there dressed like someone from outer space and no bees. Has the swarm moved and where has it gone? There's no sign in the gardens of the Ruggles house, so I go in, take off my bee suit and start to work.
One of the docents had mentioned seeing a few bees in one of the rooms of the house. That room happens to be the entrance to the attic. You don't suppose... do you? YEP, open the dooe to the attic and look up and this is what I saw...

That cluster of bees is about the size of a soccer ball. There is a gap between the wall and the roof and the bees found it. So to make a long story short (sort of) I scooped the bees into a garbage can and covered it with a towel and took them home to a hive I had set-up.

After just over a week they are still in the hive (they would have left if I hadn't gotten the queen) and seem to be happy and doing little bee things. See...



Unfortunately the Orkin man did come and take care of the ones I missed (and there were quite a few) but I saved about 3/4 of them. Maybe next year there will be home-grown honey.

On the quilty-side of things, I have FINALLY gotten the tote bag finished for a friend's birthday (in late APRIL).  It wasn't entirely my fault, I didn't get the pictures until early May. It is in the mail to her right now. I don't think she reads the blog, but I don't want to wreck the surprise if she does. Although the birthday mention probably gives it away.

There are four different pictures- a loon, moose, and two coastal scenes. I have some other pictures, I just have to get them off the camera.

Mostly I have been working on the new website and a quilt I can't show pictures of yet. You can check out the website at  http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/ but please be kind. It still needs some work, the newsletter sign-up link on the contact page is functional, so feel free to sign-up.

Now it is off to bed, Once again I have failed to get back into bed the same day I got out. I guess my niece Shelby is right...Sleep is for the weak.


p.s. I promise to stop messing with the page format. I think simple is best.




"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

No comments: