Friday, February 05, 2010

Old Dogs and New Tricks

Last night was the first night of the adult ed quilting class. I had hoped to get the sample quilt top completed in time, but you know how that goes.

I was working on the applique blocks and having a miserable time of it. You see, fusible applique is not one of my favorite techniques.

I have a customer who does lovely work with it. (Hi Barbara) These are pictures of her quilts. She uses sparkly threads and little pieces and it is great.

I've just always had trouble with it.
So, I'm working on the class blocks on my beloved old Nelco machine, and there are skipped stitches and puckering and all sorts of icky things.

Finally, I figure it might be worth the trouble to try the (new-ish) Singer. I usually leave it set up as the embroidery machine, but this applique is making me nuts.

To use the current phrase...O...M...G... What a difference! Set that puppy to zig-zag stitch #3 and we were off. So, I guess I just have to keep an open mind. I'm not giving up the Nelco. It still sews a great straight stitch and on it, I can find that perfect 1/4 inch. I just have to remember to use the right tool for the job.

I did get 2 applique blocks finished and about a quarter of the top together. I'll have the rest done by class next week.










"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!


leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Isn't it funny how we just get stuck with a thought, and then decide to give something a try and - WOW!!!! Your blocks look FANTASTIC!!!!! I am not a big fan of the applique myself, but when it goes right, it is sooooo nice!!!
I love Barbara's quilt top!!!
You have done a great job on this project and no, don't even think of the Nelco as 'old'!! It sews great, it's just not up to doing what the other machine can do - it was not made to work with what we have to work with now, so no wounder it struggles!! Your Nelco is a great machine and you are very happy to have it. I am glad you are happy with it and are not going to put it on a back shelf!!!
Sew be it!! And have fun with it!!