Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Can this be Karma?

First a little background:



My niece, Shelby, is getting married. And she asked for a quilt! Little did she know, she was getting one anyway, but it was really nice that she asked. The running joke is how much Shelby is like me. Her father (my brother) refers to her as "your clone" whenever he mentions her to me. I will admit Shelby and I share some unique ways of looking at things.


Now the issue:

So the wedding was planned for October. I worked out a very nice (read do-able in the time frame) Tennessee Waltz/Storm at Sea pattern based on a Judy Martin design. Shelby asked for blue and purples, not too girly (concession to the groom) and the pattern is up to me. I bought fabrics on my quilt show adventure in the beginning of August and was ready to start.



Now, about two weeks ago Linda Franz (of Inklingo fame) releases the instruction book for the Inklingo Double Wedding ring collection for free. I have always wanted to make a DWR. In fact I thought of it for Shelby, but there was no way to do it in the couple of months I had until October. The Inklingo makes it look pretty reasonable, for a quilt with a zillion odd shaped pieces.


The coincidence continues when my brother calls and tells me the wedding is moved...to March. Yep, I get to leave Maine in March and go to Florida, OK by me, and I gain a week in October and can work on Shelby's quilt in the dead space of January and February. But that DWR is still in the back of my mind. Inklingo + extra time...No No NO first design is very nice.


Finally Scott mentions the date- March 14- and keeps saying Shelby called it Pie Day... I didn't get it, then he tells me that that is 3-14 ...OK, Pi (not pie) day ... as in area of a circle you know A= Π R2. (see Scott I was paying attention and the new date is on the calendar) Well, if that's the way it is then that is just one more reason I HAVE to make the DWR. How could I not with that whole circle thing going on??? I tried to get my friend Faye to talk me out of it. She was no help.

I am probably insane (please keep your responses to this one subject). But a DWR it will be!
I will keep you posted on my progress. So far I have fabric and a rough drawing in EQ. And when I am a wreck in Mid-February with a queen size scalloped border staring me in the face please remind me of this cosmic convergence!


And by the way... Π R2?...no Pie R round...Cornbread R square! OK...Math Joke...BAD math joke







"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!


leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I just read your comment on Judy L's blog about having books to sell along with the long arm work you do!! Great Idea!!!!!! that would be a great addition to your business!!!
I would contact the publishers and ask about it - the more you buy, the less they are, and they would love to have their products carried by more places!!!
Good luck with getting this happening!!!

Brenda said...

I'm back!! I just read your quilt dilemma!! Way to funny!!! I think both quilts are very nice - so, make 'em both, then decide......

Kidding!!!! but still do it, then you are good to go - if the DWR turns out to be more complicated then you thought, you've already got Judy Martins done!! (don't you just love Judy M's patterns!! I do!!!)

Seriously, you have talked yourself into the DWR, and it's going to be beautiful, and done by November - so no worries. If you really get on it, it will be finished by the time the first date of the wedding was, so just relax and have fun with it!!!
Here's to your adventure!!!