Thursday, January 01, 2009

It's the little things in life...

We really should not forget some of the little luxuries we have in our lives... Like running water! OK I'm being a cynic here. I got things caught up yesterday, spent an hour (or two) picking out fabric, got everything cut for a one-day online mystery and pulled my fabrics for Bonnie's mystery on Quiltville.com. I was ready to start the new year off sewing!
Got out of bed this morning, was brushing my teeth and found out we have no cold water! This is Maine and the temperature overnight was about 5 with a wind chill of -30 (no kidding) so no water means only one thing- FROZEN PIPES. This was not the way to start a new year. I couldn't understand why we had hot water and not cold, but the plumbing in this house was put in around 1935 and looks like a bowl of spaghetti. So I spent the day with portable heaters and the paint-stripping-heat-gun trying to clear the pipes and hoping they haven't burst inside a wall or under the floor. About 4:00 things finally let loose with a burp and a gurgle, and we again have running water in the upstairs bathroom and it appears we dodged the burst-pipe-in-the-wall experience. Maybe 2009 has possibilities after all.
So... now to the important stuff... My fabrics for the current Quiltville mystery. Everything is from my stash. That's one of my New Years "modifications". Last year I decided I needed to rotate my stash. I was just stuck in a rut with the same fabrics that were never quite right.
About 3 weeks ago, a customer called and said she was cleaning out and had 3 bags of fabric that need a home. Could I use them? Heaven knows I would hate to see homeless fabric, so sure why not. Well, somewhere between her basement and the store 3 bags turned into 7! We now have proof that fabric multiplies when we aren't looking. It was like Christmas (heck it was Christmas before I got to dig through the bags). The fabric filled the table of the longarm.
Lots of the pieces are a yard or so, there are some smaller pieces and several big pieces that will make great backings. The cool part is this is lots of stuff that I would not have picked out and yet I found everything I need for one of the mystery quilts. So this should help me work outside my comfort zone a bit more and give the stash a good shake-up. Now that's the way to start the New Year!

I hope everyone reading this will have a happy and healthy New Year... and running water when you want it!




"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!


leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.thecraftyunicorn.com/

No comments: