Saturday, April 19, 2008

The new "Quilting Year"

It's mid-April and I have just gotten back from a wonderful time at MQX (Machine Quilters Exposition) and I had an idea. I've had lots of ideas over the last 3 days and they are all muddled together in my tired brain, but this one has surfaced right now.


You know how businesses have various "fiscal years" according to when their busy time is? For example the Post Office runs budgets and stuf from October 1 to September 31. Well, I think I need to have a "Quilting Year". Just a time frame so I can set goals, make modifications (resolutions), evaluate decisions, al that kind of stuff. And I think it should be April 1 to March 31. April is when I got my machine, and April is when MQX is held. So now would be a great time to evaluate things, put new goals in place, etc. It was 2 years ago after my first MQX that I decided I wanted to be primarily a quilter (no PO or other job) and have a quilt in a show by the next year (2007). Well, it took a bit longer than planned, but I am definitely quilting almost full time and I have had a quilt in a major show. So that's 2 things to cross off the list. So, modifications for this "quilting year" include:
  1. Get better at scheduling customer quilts and getting them done on time.
  2. Do more consistent advertising.
  3. Spend more time working on piecing quilts for me and quilting my own quilt.
  4. Get comfortable with my new Circle Lord.
  5. Finish the upstairs studio so I can be more comfortable and efficient (see #1-4)

So Happy New Quilting Year to everyone. I have got to go to "work" ... I have toys to pay for.





Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.blogger.com/www.TheCraftyUnicorn.com


No comments: