Monday, January 14, 2008

Stashbusting and Saving money too...


Yep, I managed to bust some stash AND it will save me money too. The shop has a wonderful big window on the side facing the river. The view is wonderful, but the glass is single pane and the window leaks. You can just feel the cold draft seeping in. So, someone gave me some nice (not great, but OK) heavy fabric a few years ago. I was going to make tote bags or something with it. Well Saturday I decided it would make a pretty good curtain. I had some nasty cheap poly batting and the roman shade tape and cotton cord. Add a few eye bolts and TA DA- Insulated curtain for the window. Once it was up, the temp in the store went up from 60 to 65 degrees- without changing the thermostat. I also noticed yesterday that the furnace is running a lot less. With oil $3.35 a gallon that is a VERY good thing.

I've been practicing McTavishing for a few days. I have the most amazing quilt to do for a customer. It is all hand done dimensional applique, and it is perfect... every seam, every point, every mitred corner. To tell you the truth, I'm half afraid to work on it.

The baskets & flowers will be outlined and the background will be McT I'm pretty sure. The outer border is going to be a basket weave that looks really dimensional and there are setting triangles for some big juicy feathers. What really has me stumped is the sashing.and floral border. It is such a delicate little print, and she matched the print at the corners, I don't want to cover it up with stitching. Any ideas are welcome. Fortunately I don't have to have it done until April. The quilt is an opportunity project for a church in the area. So there will be lots of exposure. My goal is the have it done by the beginning of February. I'm sending her samples this week. I know, practice, practice practice. And I am my own worst critic.









"Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.blogger.com/www.TheCraftyUnicorn.com


No comments: