Monday, December 31, 2007

New Years Resolutions

I don't really like the term resolutions... I would rather think of them as modifications for next year. This year I hope to:

  1. Focus more on my quilting business
  2. Reduce/revise my fabric stash
  3. Finish some UFOs & PIGS
  4. Try to simplify and organize my life a bit.
  5. Be more consistent with my blog posts

I'm tired of constantly running around to keep "putting out fires" That chaos was supposed to stop when I left the Post Office. Oh well, we will see. Maybe I need to follow the mantra of the sports giant Nike... JUST DO IT. No putting things off, or I'll finish this later. Just do it now, then move on to the next thing.

My December quilting schedule was rather thin until I had 4 quilts come in on ONE day. And of course they were for Christmas... well 3 were. So, I was quilting like mad for about 2 weeks with the scheduled quilts and the "drop-ins". It was kinda nice, but I wouldn't want it that crazy all the time.


I had to finish piecing Ruby's hearts. She just ran out of time and gave me the whole thing in a bag and said "do what you can with it". It wasn't exactly like the pattern in the book, but she loved it.






Another of my favorites this month was Gail's "puzzle quilt". It was another of her shoebox swaps. There are 12 different blocks each done with different light/dark arrangements. It really is neat to see how the placement changes the blocks. Leggs was getting ready to attack his sister just as I took the picture.







On the stash front, I did some re-arranging of furniture and have all my unattached fabrics in one bookcase. It doesn't look quite so bad all in one rather than two. I know it's not much compared to some people, but it really is more than I need. Especially since it doesn't seem to be the right stuff.
I tried to make a table runner for a friend's birthday last week. It took longer to find the right fabric than to make the runner! Everything I picked out was just not right- too something or not something enough. My plan for this problem is if it won't play nice in this project- Cut it up for the strip bins and then it can play nice in a scrap quilt. Unless it's good-size yardage (1-1/2 or bigger).








All my UFOs are on two (slightly sagging) shelves and another shelf is just fabric that belongs together, but has no definite pattern yet. I'm thinking about "kitting" some of my PIGs. Once they are cut, the remaining fabric can go into the stash for other things. As it is, I won't touch anything in the UFO/PIG shelf for fear of leaving another project short. It might also get me interested in some of those old projects again.





I have started not one but 2 new quilts. The Quiltville Mystery, and a quick Christmas mystery called "just my size". Both are really good for stash busting. I'm going to go through my UFOs and add the list to my blog so I can (hopefully) track my progress.










I did get my December Log Cabin swap blocks out- and even on time- They had to go out by the end of the month. I mailed them at 11:45 am on 12/31. OK, so the Post Office was closing at noon, but they are gone- Yea Me!

So in short, I should get off the computer and get quilting- There's stuff to do.



Happy & Healthy New Year to everyone out there in Quilt-blog-land.



Don't tell me not to burn the candle at both ends...
Tell me where to get more wax!
leslie@theCraftyUnicorn.com
http://www.blogger.com/www.TheCraftyUnicorn.com


1 comment:

Vicky said...

Great modifications, and the quilts are lovely. You've gotten organized and ready to dive it and just do it this year! Good job!